So you got the ring, venue, and photographer, now it’s time to pick the right makeup artist for your big day. These days there seems to be a new makeup artist popping up on every corner, so how do you know who will be the right fit for you? Here’s some tips on how to find the right makeup artist for you.
1. Check out the makeup artist social media and website. This is where you can see their portfolio, or a running outlet of their work. A few things I would check for is if their style is what you want, if they are using filters or editing apps on their pictures, and if they feature is a wide variety of skin tones, textures, and looks.
2. Schedule a trial. It’s always important to get an idea of how long it will take, and if the makeup artist will be able to achieve the look you want. You can see how well the makeup wears on you and if you like the look you picked. Most artist will guide you on what they think is best, but it’s always best to know what you want and give the artist direction. We are not mind readers and need some inspiration. What you may think is natural look and what we think is natural look, could be completely different. Don’t be afraid to bring inspiration pictures with you, your artist can help guide you.
3. Hire a professional that is licensed and insured. It’s always best to hire someone that does this for a living, and not a cousin that likes doing makeup for fun. This is a big day, and you’ll have the pictures for ever.
4. Read their reviews online. This will give you an idea of who they are as a person and their work ethic.
5. Don’t be afraid to speak up. If their is something you want to change or don’t like, ask to change it. As a makeup artist, it never hurts my feelings if someone wants to change something up. It’s our job to make you look and feel your very best! It’s all about you, not us. You my wear your brows differently than we did them, it’s never to late to change it to how you like. And if the makeup artist gets annoyed that you asked to change something, than they aren’t the right artist for you.
I hope this article helped you. Please feel free to comment or leave questions about this article below. Follow me on Instagram, @makeupbuffalo, to see my work and get more tips and tricks.