Getting a spray tan is truly life changing. After my first tan, I felt like a new woman. Although getting a spray tan can make you look and feel amazing, there are some rules you have to follow to make sure it last and looks great.
1. Throw out the DOVE and OLAY soaps and body washes. If you most keep them, stop using them 4-5 days before your spray tan, and DO NOT use during the life of your tan. These soaps create a barrier on your skin, that prevent the tan from penetrating and developing. So your tan will develop patchy and orange. We sell a variety of soaps that will leave your skin hydrated and clean without stripping that beautiful tan. Pick on up in studio, or click this link to buy one online
2. Pat don't Rub! After showering it's important to not dry by rubbing. Rubbing will exfoliate your tan off, and limit the life of your tan. It's best to pat dry with your towel.
3. Showering right before your appointment. Your skin needs time to repair its natural barrier, and that takes time, I suggest showering and exfoliating 12-24 hours before your spray tan appointment. This will allow your tan to properly penetrate the skin and develop. This also includes a sweaty workout. Skip the heavy sweating before your appointment
4. Not hydrating your skin. It's important to keep your tan and skin is hydrated, but make sure you stick with a lotion or light weight cream. Oils and heavy creams are to emollient and can take the tan off. Some of my favorite lotions and creams are by Hempz and the original Brazilian Bum Bum cream.
5. Not exfoliating before your appointment. It's important to get the dead skin off before getting sprayed, this will allow for a more even tan application. Make sure you exfoliate at least 12 hours before, you DO NOT want to do it any closer to your appointment.
6. Skip the automated machines, and opt for a spray tan professional. Having a trained professional spray you will ensure your tan is even and beautiful. No missed spots or uneven tans.
7. Don't wear tight clothing, sports bars, or lace clothing. These items can rub off and ruin your tan. Instead opt for dark, loose fitting clothes.
I hope these tips help you out, and get you the most perfect long lasting tan! Please leave any questions or comments you may have and I'll get back to you. Follow me on Instagram, @MakeupBuffalo to get more tips and tricks
Hi everyone, my name is Nicole, I have worked in the makeup, esthetics and bridal industry for 15 years. I wanted to create a blog to share my knowledge and advice on all things spray tan, beauty, makeup, waxing, bridal beauty, and lashes.